Saturday, December 22, 2007

my favorite store

so, to give my husband the afternoon off,
the kids and I strolled down to 79th st.
got a brownie and a cup of tea, earl grey-yuck
server's mistake,
bought shampoo, albuterol for the asthmatics
of the abode and passed my favorite store.
Not that I have ever shopped here~
i could have in the spring when nearing goal
weight-but I am nowhere near that now.
and the prices are silly. 80.00 for a kid's
Beatle teeshirt. so see, I actually couldn't.
(it's kids and mommy clothes
in one small store)
but, just if there is a special occasion, sometime
down the road, I decide to log it in my boy's strong memory.
"Buddy, just in case you wanna tell Papa? this is my favorite store."
He looks in the window, trying to make out a name.
"Sale? that's the name?" (I actually think he said Sally)
"No, it's up there. See, CPW"
he pauses.
"Spew? that's the name of the store, Mommy, Spew?"
brilliant.

and as my wise friend Dana said,
honestly, even if we could spend that kinda money on clothes,
would we dress much different than our current frocks
of tee shirts, sweaters and jeans?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't kids clothes just shockingly expensive! I splurged once on a $15 pair of jeans for William from Gap. You better believe he is wearing them all winter.....
Shannon

Anonymous said...

you ate a brownie?!
surely you mean blondie.
my secret goal in life is
to get you to join the
chocolate-train again.
life is just so much better...